The Senior Business Analyst (BA) serves as the bridge between the Firm’s business needs and IT’s technical solutions. The Senior BA is responsible for leading analysis for prospective and planned technology solutions, translating desired business outcomes and capabilities into functional and non- functional specifications.
To achieve this, the Senior BA engages cross-functional technical and non- technical stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of IT solution delivery, with emphasis on upfront planning (e.g., business justification, scoping / sizing), as well as solution design (e.g., requirement definition for features and functionality).
The position requires an individual with strong technical competence across a range of technical disciplines (ranging from back-end infrastructure to end-user applications), solid analytical skills, and the innate ability to translate desired business capabilities into simplified requirements for technical teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the capture of business requirements for the Firm’s technology estate, playing an active role on IT project team(s).
- Conducts research and analysis for a wide-range of business needs, including but not limited to: product evaluation, business processes / workflows, root-cause evaluation, data synthesis, process improvement, and product innovation.
- Develops comprehensive functional specifications, use cases, and user stories working in direct partnership with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Develops non-functional specifications as needed with the support of Infrastructure / Applications / IT Security engineering.
- Facilitates workshops, interviews, and meetings to elicit requirements, clarify objectives, and resolve conflicts / knowledge gaps.
- Supports the intake, justification, business case development, and scoping of new project / technology requests.
- Preserves interactions between IT and functional stakeholders across the Firm to drive awareness and remain in sync with evolving business needs.
- Supports IT demand management evaluation and planning activities.
- Escalates items not receiving appropriate attention, including approvals, projects, and issues.
Duties and Responsibilities (continued):
- Informs and supports the development of standards and templates for project scoping and justification, requirements definition, functional and technical designs, process flow diagrams, system / user acceptance test scripts, and other materials as needed.
- Educates and coaches other IT staff on best practices and leading standards surrounding business analysis and requirement definition.
- Informs and supports overall IT change management and communication strategies in partnership with Solution Delivery stakeholders.
- Supports the definition of service level agreements (SLAs) for new or changed solutions and services to preserve an optimal experience for the Firm and its clients.
- Stays up to date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices related to business analysis and common technology solutions / platforms.
Reports To: Director of Solution Delivery
Education & Credentials
- College degree is strongly preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related technical discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
- Demonstrated experience in business analysis for complex technology projects and programs, with experience in technical requirement definition.
- Demonstrated experience in providing research / supporting analysis of distressed processes / solutions to inform future state solutions.
- Demonstrated experience delivering gold-standard documentation in support of solution design, both traditional (e.g., use cases) as well as creative / intuitive (e.g., visualizations).
- Demonstrated experience forging partnerships across technical and non-technical teams.
- Demonstrated experience in a wide range of technology systems, with preference on systems common to a large Law Firm.
- Experience in strategic technology planning.
- Experience with project and program management disciplines, methodologies, and processes.
- Familiarity with the functioning of a program management office and governance frameworks.
- Washington, D.C.
- Core hours of 9:00 am – 5:30pm, Monday – Friday; hybrid in-office, which will be a combination of onsite, and remote work with occasional on-call availability.
← return to listings