Automated Litigation Support Specialists will work closely with Firm attorneys, staff attorneys, other legal specialists, paralegals, litigation analysts, case clerks and others to service the cases or matters to which they are assigned. Automated Litigation Support Specialists may also interact with members of the Professional/Litigation Support Committee, the Human Resources department and other Firm personnel.
Automated Litigation Support Specialists will support the Firm’s litigation and other practice areas by performing electronic data assessment, electronic discovery consultation, data and database management, reporting and presentation services. This is a non-exempt position. ALS Specialists are expected to bill a minimum of 1625-1675 hours per year to Firm client matters (including pro bono matters) and approved program or department work, maintain regular office hours consistent with the Firm’s normal business hours and be available, as needed, for after-hours or weekend overtime.
- Analyze written and verbal user requirements to determine the most effective technology solutions for creating and managing electronic data to suit case team needs.
- Consult with attorneys and other firm personnel on electronic discovery issues, best practices and strategic uses of technology.
- Assist legal teams in evaluating electronic discovery goals and developing effective and efficient data collection, processing and review solutions.
- Proactively identify and provide technology, workflow, vendor or process recommendations, throughout the litigation lifecycle, to further the objectives of a specific matter and to accomplish case team goals.
- Coordinate processing of incoming data, depositions, images, other electronic files and paper documents in-house or through vendor partners.
- Assist with design and management of objective and subjective coding projects for discovery documents.
- Identify and resolve any data conversion, normalization, compatibility or other related issues.
- Coordinate the loading of data into appropriate litigation support databases and applications.
- Design and maintain litigation support databases in accordance with Firm standards and specifications.
- Assist with data analysis tasks and identify opportunities to provide legal teams with greater understanding of their data, including assistance with querying and reporting on data.
- Provide support during the electronic document review process, including, assisting with the design of review workflow and logic, development of coding structure, creation of document review batches, workflow administration, ongoing quality control and desk-side support.
- Coordinate document production activities from litigation support databases, including assistance with negotiating or developing the format of production, defining the technical production criteria and workflow, executing the production activities, copying and formatting production output and running relevant quality control processes.
- Coordinate the development of simple graphics, presentations and demonstratives for use in hearings and trial.
- Maintain Livenote transcript databases, load new electronic transcripts and assist attorneys in querying and effectively using transcripts.
- Provide support for fact analysis through use of technologies such as Casemap.
- Assist with pretrial/presentation activities involving electronic data such as, document queries, building trial exhibits, witness kits and production sets. Facilitate team’s access and use of electronic data in preparation for trial or other presentation.
- Provide support at trial with trial technology equipment setup, running presentation of electronic evidence and supporting legal teams in the war-room.
- Prepare and maintain project plans and other defensible documentation which can be used to track and report on data and evidence management.
- Manage outside vendor processes, obtain budgets for vendor projects, ensure vendor work is being performed in accordance with Firm specifications, and manage vendor invoices for payment approval.
- Provide training to attorneys and other firm personnel on litigation support applications and technologies and advocates for the appropriate and efficient use of technology in practice.
- Support other miscellaneous technology related tasks, as necessary.
- Interact professionally with attorneys, other CSS staff, Firm clients, opposing parties, third parties and witnesses.
- Appropriately and effectively supervise support staff, as necessary.
- Perform other tasks, as required by attorneys or the Automated Litigation Support Director.
- Respond to work requests from Attorneys, Automated Litigation Support Team Leads, the Automated Litigation Support Director and CSS Management on a variety of issues and special projects.
- Timely and accurate compliance with Firm and departmental requirements including, but not limited to, timekeeping, timesheets, judicious use of Firm resources and IT security.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent industry experience.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of work experience in legal support, including at least three (3) years in an Automated Litigation Support or equivalent position at mid to large law firm or major litigation support vendor.
- Paralegal certification, legal training and/or relevant technical experience or certifications encouraged.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the use of legal-specific computer technologies for documents, imaging, deposition management, trial presentation, hosted review and other technology solutions
- Ability to appropriately and intelligently respond to requests for assistance with relevant technologies and to utilize technologies to support case team needs and litigation goals. Relevant technologies may include, but are not limited to, Relativity, Concordance, CaseMap, TimeMap, Livenote, Sanction2, Trial Director, LAW, ReadySuite, Adobe Acrobat, MS Office Suite (specifically Outlook, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), Lotus Notes, SQL, IPRO, Clearwell, Summation, Ultraedit, image and text file editing applications and hosted document review solutions.
- Solid understanding of structured and unstructured data and how to appropriately apply technology to assist with complex litigation and corporate transactions; Demonstrates high-level understanding of database design; data analysis, data conversion and data management to facilitate use of data within litigation support applications.
- Experience applying technology to complex litigation and corporate transactions, including database analysis, design and maintenance.
- Familiarity with industry standards and practices with respect to electronic discovery and litigation databases, including familiarity with stages of litigation and the litigation lifecycle and technologies utilized at each stage.
- Understanding of how to manage litigation support projects from inception to completion, including obtaining and analyzing vendor quotes, budgeting, efficient workflow design, implementation of appropriate level of quality control and regular tracking and reporting.
- Ability to anticipate, identify and resolve technical issues.
- Strong organizational, analytical reasoning and research skills.
- Seeks creative approaches to stubborn problems and demonstrates a high degree of originality within Firm culture and policies.
- Customer service orientation and skills; exhibits self-confidence; good judgment; attention to detail, and responsiveness.
- Solid and effective written and verbal communication abilities.
- Understands and follows instructions; listens actively when receiving assignments; asks appropriate questions; demonstrates willingness to take advantage of constructive feedback; learns from mistakes and keeps them in perspective.
- Consistently produces high quality work; regularly checks for errors and makes corrections as necessary.
- Demonstrates initiative in seeking work and managing work load.
- Demonstrates eagerness and a capacity to learn; takes advantage of available training; shows interest in improving performance and skill-set.
- Exhibits flexibility and the ability to prioritize and handle many tasks and requests simultaneously with a high level of competence and accuracy; the ability to remain composed and professional under stressful circumstances.
- Sensitive to ethical and confidentiality issues and requirements.
- Demonstrates ability to work efficiently.
- Ability to work for extended periods with little supervision and independently research or “self-teach” on new systems or approaches.
- Successfully able to work with a team, share knowledge and demonstrate leadership.
← return to listings