Data Architect – Job Description
The data architect assists with the overarching goal of accelerating behavioral research and improving patient outcomes and overall health experiences through improved cognitive and advanced analytics. The incumbent will support, analyze, design and deliver major systems and technologies in high performance computing and data warehousing, using a thorough understanding of available technology, tools, and best practices.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following):
- Works closely with business analysts and clinical researchers to translate business requirement use cases into data technology solutions. Accommodates business needs through the analysis and selection of appropriate development platforms, computing environments, software, hardware, technologies, and tools, etc.
- Proposes solutions and technical architecture options using the existing data warehouse, high performance computing infrastructure, and other institutional data sources. Compares and contrasts those architecture options and costs to other alternative solutions. Presents these findings to the stakeholders.
- Performs analysis of various disparate healthcare data sources in order to determine their interrelation and how best to integrate and leverage them for research and quality purposes within the data warehouse. Creates data integration plans, data pipelines, messaging and data transfer standards, and ETL specifications.
- Provides oversight to design and develop data warehouse model and semantic layer. Designs schema definitions for OLTP and OLAP databases
- Develops standards that govern the strategy to collect metadata. Implements best practices and standards to analyze, profile, and store data. Develops and documents standards and guidelines to govern the use of data integration tools and processes.
- Researches and evaluates alternative technical and process solutions based on industry best practices and recommends the most efficient and cost effective solutions for system design
- Performs functional analysis and system design. Authors functional requirements and system design documents. Documents, tests, implements, and provides on-going architecture evaluations for the applications.
- Provides highly technical consulting and leadership in identifying and implementing new uses of information technologies that assist the functional business units in meeting their strategic objectives
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested
- Miminum of 8-years of related work experience in IT with a minimum of 6-years’ experience in systems analysis and application program development, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- In depth knowledge of data warehousing, data modeling, database design, and meta-data repositories
- Data warehousing ETL experience is required. SAP Business Objects experience is a plus.
- Well versed in TOGAF concepts and the creation of BRD, FRD, use case diagrams, metadata tracking documents, and other related systems diagrams and documentation
- In depth knowledge of the design and creation of data interfaces, data pipelines, and data messaging (such as HL7) standards.
- In depth knowledge of the system development life cycle, the client area's functions and systems, and applications program development technological alternatives
- Experience with big data architecture alternatives such as Hadoop (and big data processing alternatives such as Spark), data pipelines, message queues, columnar databases, in-memory databases, and search engines
- Must be competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of system design and implementation
- Requires excellent communication skills, analytical ability, strong judgment and management skills, and the ability to work effectively with both healthcare and IT management and staff
- Experience analyzing clinical data from electronic medical record systems (such as EPIC) is a strong plus
- Experience in cloud environments (such as Azure and AWS), cloud services, microservices, and serverless architectures, is a plus
- Experience in sizing, tuning, and data analysis is a plus
- Subject matter expertise in clincical health care a plus
- Experience working with Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services is a Plus
- Experience working NLP and text analysis is a plus
- Underlying database certification
← return to listings