Applications Administrator – Job Description
Primary responsibility is that of design, installation, management, maintenance and replacement of the firm’s enterprise and desktop applications. This includes installation, configuration, tuning, monitoring, capacity planning, and upgrading of the server and desktop applications. The Applications Administrator is responsible for supporting databases and servers that support mission critical applications within the firm. A strong technical background with excellent troubleshooting skills is essential to this role.
The enterprise applications supported include but are not limited to:
- Aderant Expert and any downstream applications
- Netdocuments DMS
- Intapp Total Time
- Microsoft Office
- ContactEase CRM
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Other legal industry applications.
Essential Functions: Application Administrator
- Perform system administration of MS SQL 2008/2012 systems.
- Create and maintain proper SQL server backups for DR purposes.
- Create SQL scripts, SP, and triggers.
- Create SSIS and SSRS packages to support firm departments.
- Provide support to the firm’s Accounting department as it relates to Aderant Expert-related questions and issues.
- Maintain the integration of Aderant Expert with downstream applications including: Pitney-Bowes, Intapp, Copitrak, and other financial related applications.
- Diagnose and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Monitor nightly, weekly, monthly and annual system processes and data feeds to ensure accurate and timely uploads and reporting.
- Troubleshoot Aderant Expert system issues as well as request fixes or enhancements on behalf of users and work with internal IT or external (3rd Party vendor) resources to ensure timely resolution.
- Provide day-to-day support of the firm's SQL servers and applications.
- Create and maintain proper documentations for SQL servers and applications.
- Communicate problems and problems resolutions to system support personnel to improve ongoing service delivery.
- Develop production, quality assurance (testing), and development environments for the enterprise systems infrastructure.
- Establish and monitor application-level security, including routinely applying application patches and other updates.
- Communicate with software vendors on design, integration, installations and problem resolutions.
- Organize and report on the progress of ongoing testing, trials, and evaluation of new products and services.
- Maintain system documentation pertaining to all applications.
- Consult with business partners on business process analysis and design of applications
- Install, configure, upgrade, patch, and maintain firm applications.
- Create and maintain application test plans.
- Provide advanced user support for application issues.
- Establish automated processes to monitor applications to minimize failures or degraded performance, and alert administrators to problems.
- Provide on-call support to resolve emergency issues outside normal business hours.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for users as it is related to Aderant Expert and other downstream applications.
- Provide third-tier support for the Netdocuments and the firm’s database applications such as ContactEase, viDesktop, etc. including troubleshooting and resolving issues
- Work on internal projects as needed and ensure project schedules and performance requirements are met.
- Work with others in IT to design and implement redundant and survivable systems in accordance with disaster recovery planning.
- Work closely with Accounting, Marketing, HR, and the firm’s practice groups to deliver high quality applications that are aligned to the IS department's strategic goals and initiatives
- Serve as technical lead on projects of increasing size and complexity
- Strengthen existing strategic vendor relationships and, as appropriate, develop new vendor relationships
- Manage select enterprise system related projects including software selection, data requirements gathering, planning, testing, implementation and training.
- Translate business and/or client needs of the users into functional system requirements that can facilitate timely issue resolution.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience, which should include at least (7) years in the technology industry with experience in Professional Services (e.g. Accounting Firm, Consulting Firm, Law Firm etc.) and familiarity with enterprise applications
- To effectively perform in this role the candidate must be proficient in and possess SQL database skills:
- 3+ years’ experience with SQL Server 2008/2012 administration and optimization skills
- Strong understanding of database table structures
- Proficiency in at least one related development language and scripting code is highly desirable
- Thorough knowledge and comprehensive understanding of supporting and maintaining a sophisticated legal finance system such as Aderant Expert or Thomson Elite.
- Database design, administration and development skills are necessary to keep the applications running at peak performance and to increase functionality through integration.
- The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills used to identify, document, and improve company process through the use of technology.
- Must be a self starter – Able to identify issues and work to achieve resolution without constant attention.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and solve problems through an analytical approach.
- Must be able to accommodate a flexible schedule.
- Must be able to travel occasionally (very limited and usually scheduled in advance).
- Must possess a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Solid understanding of collaboration and content management systems, including supporting infrastructures such as directories, authentication and authorization technologies is a plus.
- An understanding of law firm operations including accounting, financial reporting, time entry and client engagements, docketing, records managements, etc.
- Strong analytical, organizational, decision making and project management skills. Requires ability to analyze, evaluate and solve problems of a difficult nature, including ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- High level of leadership, interpersonal and collaboration skills. Strong team player with excellent diplomacy and influential skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite 2010/2013.
- Technical experience with Windows 2008/2012 environment, IIS, and Active Directory.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in testing and implementing applications.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Must possess a detailed understanding of business processes as they relate to Accounting systems.
- Familiarity with Systems development Life cycle (SDLC) and Project Management methodologies.
- Industry certifications a plus.
- Previous law firm experience preferred.
- Physical Requirements: Light lifting; up to 30 lbs.
← return to listings