POSITION TITLE: Applications Engineer – Litigation Support
REPORTS TO: Applications Manager
OTHER KEY RELATIONSHIPS:
The Applications Engineer – Litigation Support works directly with Litigation Support staff, IT staff,
professional managers and firm directors as it relates to operations, support and technology
improvements and acts as the liaison between the Litigation Support and Information Technology
departments. The Applications Engineer – Litigation Support has regular interaction with attorneys and
staff at all levels of the organization. The Applications Engineer – Litigation Support can expect to have
frequent contact with senior leaders throughout the firm.
The Applications Engineer – Litigation Support is a critically important, multifaceted role situated in the IT
department and is a 2 nd and 3 rd tier level of support for IT/Litigation Support issues and requests. The
Engineer leads operations in supporting and managing the applications and server infrastructure utilized
for litigation support including; trial transcript management, e-discovery processing, document sharing,
client collaboration, as well as other assigned applications.
SPECIFIC DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES
Identify and Resolve Issues
1. Research and implement solutions to user experience issues. Works with vendors and
consultants as necessary.
2. Log and monitor ticket queue dashboard and resolve all assigned and escalated IT incident
tickets to Service Level Agreements using the firm’s IT Service Management System.
3. Resolve escalated end-user calls presented by phone, email, or face-to-face interactions,
including issues with storage access, Litigation Support applications and processes and
document sharing/collaboration tools.
4. Assist with attorney case related requests such as e-discovery collections, protective order
compliance, data destruction or sanitization, and restricted source code review environment
5. Assist attorneys and IT staff with importing and exporting client data from firm storage systems as
mandated by client requests and regulatory requirements.
Manage portfolio of existing software and vendors
1. Lead operational support in monitoring and optimizing the firm’s servers and applications utilized
for trial transcript management, e-discovery processing, document sharing, and collaboration
2. Perform software asset management and application lifecycle management, including upgrades,
patching, performance, and vulnerability management.
3. Ensure the configuration of applications and storage repositories meets firm requirements,
including configuring granular security settings or access permissions as needed.
4. Assist with vetting potential vendors for suitability.
5. Analyze, optimize, and integrate applications and services using SCCM/Intune/RMM features and
6. Responsible for software distribution and patch management
1. Writes and maintains procedural and design documentation for the environment
2. Maintains detailed documentation, notes, and steps pending or completed on all assigned issues.
3. Maintain and update technical, dataflow, and design documentation.
4. Define technology processes where none exist and improve the existing processes based on best
Implement new solutions
5. Create project plans for new software implementations.
6. Work with key stakeholders to define, recommend, and implement policies and standards for
7. Assist with implementation of new software.
1. Participate in regular IT staff meetings, including occasional travel to firm offices.
2. Assists with development and management of formalized quality assurance protocols and
application testing procedures so all core and workgroup software operate harmoniously with firm
3. Completes regular training to stay up to date with current technologies
4. Research legal vertical and general technology market for software that addresses pain points and
improve attorney workflows.
5. Research potential solutions and conduct POCs and evaluations to establish suitability.
Minimum 3 years' experience supporting technology in a medium to large law firm
(international law firm experience preferred)
Proficiency with commonly used legal applications including document management
systems, trial transcript management software, e-discovery processing applications, e-
discovery review platforms, document sharing, and collaboration systems
Proficiency supporting database, virtualization, cloud, and remote access technologies.
Expert proficiency in Microsoft Windows Server 2013/2016/2019 architecture and Active
Expert proficiency in SAN/NAS/CIFS/WAN/LAN technologies.
Expert proficiency in File and Print servers, IP Printing, network scanning technologies.
Proficiency supporting Windows 10 and MAC OS clients.
Minimum 5 years' engineering experience supporting technology in a large law firm.
Skilled in customer relations with vendors and internal users, critically reviewing statements of
work, and ability to negotiate pricing and agreements optimal to the firm and clients.
Excellent analytical and problem skills and demonstrate ability to work independently and in a
team environment, follow detailed instructions and meet established deadlines.
Excellent communication and organizational skills, including the ability to always interact
effectively with a diverse range of customers in a calm and professional manner, particularly
Excellent time management, prioritization, and organizational skills, including the ability to
manage multiple assignments simultaneously, take ownership, and effectively execute
deliverables in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
Ability to quickly learn new software applications and legal-specific software packages.
Perform root-cause analysis for any disruption to service availability and implement preventative
Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
Reliable and consistent attendance.
Expert proficiency in the Microsoft Office 2019/365 suite, particularly Word.
Expert proficiency with commonly used legal applications including document management
systems, legal template, macro, and numbering software, Citrix, document comparison software,
Office 365, timekeeping software, and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
Expert proficiency in support of the Microsoft Windows operating system.
← return to listings